Starting January 2017, the Paul Robeson Galleries will be joining Express Newark, a university-community collaboratory in the iconic, former Hahne & Company department store site. Click here for more information on Express Newark.
The Paul Robeson Galleries’ mission and programming embody Paul Robeson’s life-long commitment to unfettered artistic freedom, cultural democracy, and transnationalism. This mission is carried out in the presentation of visual arts exhibitions, gallery education and other public programs, and in partnerships with community organizations.
The PRG is dedicated to presenting art and cultural artifacts as well as educational and public programming in the spirit of the diverse metropolitan context of Rutgers University at Newark, the Greater Newark communities, and the northeast region of New Jersey. The Gallery’s programs strive to:
- Present arts and visual culture exhibitions and events of the highest quality
- Enrich the University arts programs with cross-disciplinary collaborations
- Provide gallery educational experience to local and regional communities
- Strengthen collaborative relationships with Greater Newark’s artistic, cultural, and educational organizations
- Advance Paul Robeson’s legacy of encouraging cross-cultural artistic freedom and cultural democracy.
- Emphasize the role of arts and culture in the shaping and functioning of society
- Reflect the spirit of the University’s diverse metropolitan context
- Enhance the quality of life for the campus and Greater Newark communities.
The Paul Robeson Galleries (PRG) consists of a network of exhibition spaces showcasing the work of emerging and established contemporary artists. The PRG is proud to be part of Express Newark, which opened January 2017 in the iconic corner Hahne & Company department store site.
The Paul Robeson Galleries strive to provide every visitor with the opportunity to experience contemporary art. Download information on access services for visitors with disabilities.