The Paul Robeson Galleries is pleased to announce the open call of our fourth Artist in Residence opportunity at the initiative known as Express Newark (located in the former Hahne Department Store). This program is dedicated to Newark artists only. A Newark artist is defined as someone who was born, lives, or works in the city of Newark, NJ. Visual arts are defined in the broadest sense.
This six-month residency will include a studio space in the Hahne Building (54 Halsey Street, Newark) and an exhibition at the end of the residency. The artist will also be provided a stipend of $2,400. The residency will occur from March 1, 2019 to August 31, 2019. During the residency, the artist will be expected to participate in the life of EN through hosting at least one open studio, participating in one critique of student work and at least one public program (for example, an artist talk), and attending at least two additional public programs and/or exhibition receptions as an active presence in the PRG community. The artist will be expected to be in their studio at least 50 hours per month. The artist must also be available for about 5 hours of studio visits with groups organized through the PRG education program during their residency. The artist will be a member of the selection committee for the following Artist in Residence.
Artists applying for AiR must provide the following in the indicated file formats:
- Current artist CV with all contact details (PDF)
- An artist statement – 250 words about how and why you make art
- Statement about objective – 250 words potential project or goal for residency
- Up to 8 images of work created in the last two years (JPEG or TIF) or three time-based works (2 minutes in length or shorter). File names should follow the format “1_LASTNAME_Firstname”
- An image list with the details for the works – title, date, medium, dimensions/duration
- A brief explanation of the artist’s Newark connection. If selected, you will be expected to provide proof (e.g. Newark ID card, driver’s license, utility bill, birth certificate, etc.)
All applications are due by 11:59 p.m. Monday, November 12, 2018. The selected artist will be notified the week of November 30th. Note – please do not phone or email about the status of your application. The PRG will advise of the outcome as soon as possible. Please do not send any additional material, it will not be considered.
A panel of arts professionals and artists will review applications and select the AiR. Selection criteria include an assessment of prior practice and determination about the potential impact of the program on the individual’s artistic practice.
Please note that the following are ineligible to apply:
- Full- or part-time Rutgers staff and faculty and their immediate families. “Immediate family” is defined by the following relationships: child, parent, sibling, spouse
- Currently enrolled full-time students of any institution
- Individuals who have been enrolled at Rutgers University within the last four years
- Previous Paul Robeson Galleries Artists in Residence